It’s a gloomy morning, the sun was hiding under those thick dark clouds and the rain might fall in any minute, but that didn’t stop me from going to Verde Island. So, I packed up my bags and boarded a bus bound to Batangas. It takes 4 hours to reach the beautiful and captivating Verde Island from Manila. Locally known as Isla Verde, it is located in the southern part of Batangas and 1 hour away from Puerto Galera. Although, the island is just an hour away from the mainland it is relatively undeveloped and not so commercialized as Puerto Galera. The simple living is quite intact and the green mountains remain lush and rich. Electricity is available from 6 am up to 6 pm and running water is still scarce. Numerous untouched shores dotted the island and you will experience the quiet, simple and easy-breezy island life. The island is a promise of a great tropical escape. Luckily, the sun showed its strength and brightened up the day giving us an ultimate summer feels.
|A view to die for.|
Isla Verde is surrounded with pebbly and crushed corals matched with azure waters. The aquamarine shore provides an ideal weekend escape. The stillness of the night is a great opportunity to stare at the vast cosmos and listen to the waves as they kiss the shore. The tropical island vibe is an ultimate stress reliever. For me, the best time to visit Verde Island is during off season where there are fewer tourists. Indeed, the island is perfect for solo getaway or for a weekend with friends and loved ones.
Surface Interval Resort is one of the most affordable resorts around the island. They offer great service, accommodating and welcoming community. The staffs are kind and helpful. Also, the locals are nice and the environment is safe and relaxing. Beach camping is allowed in the resort for only Php 300 per night. You can also bring your own food and pay Php 200 for unlimited used of their kitchen. If you are a solo traveler you can buy your own meal for a very affordable price at the mini store located beside the resort. They offer cooked rice for Php 20 and matched with a sumptuous viand for just Php 20.
|Surface Interval Resort.|
How to get to Isla Verde from Metro Manila
- From Buendia bus station, catch the bus going to Batangas Grand Terminal. Fare Php 157
- From Batangas Grand Terminal, take the jeep bound for Bagong palengke. Fare is Php 12
- From Bagong palengke, ride a jeep going to Tabangao Aplaya or Port. Fare is Php 17
- For faster option, you can hire a tricycle from Batangas Grand Terminal to Tabangao Aplaya for Php 300. It can accommodate 3 to 4 passengers.
- When I reached Batangas Grand Terminal I asked around on how to go to Tabangao Aplaya, they told me to wait for jeepneys outside the terminal that has a “Balete” sign board and asked the driver to drop me off where Tabangao aplaya jeepneys passes by. According to them, this is the cheapest and fastest way going to Tabangao Aplaya.
- From Tabangao Aplaya, take the passenger boat going to the island. Fare is Php 150. The boat leaves at around 8am.
- Make sure to leave early in the morning to avoid hassle since there is only 1 trip going to the Island.
- Passenger boats depart the island at around 4 in the morning. Fare is 150
- Some resorts has their own boat so you can ask them to wait for you. Their boat leaves the island at around 11 am or late in the afternoon. Fare is Php 350 (Back and Forth).
How to get to Isla Verde from Batangas
- Ride a jeepney going to Batangas City Proper or in Balagtas.
- From there, catch the jeepney bound for Bagong Palengke or you can go to Batangas Grand Terminal.
- From Bagmong Palengke take another jeepney bound for Tabanngao Aplaya.
- From Tabangao Aplaya,take the passenger boat going to the island. Fare is Php 150. The boat leaves at around 8am.
- Make sure to leave early in the morning to avoid hassle since there are only 1 trip going to the Island.
- Passenger boats depart the island at around 4 in the morning. Fare is 150.
- Some resorts have their own boat so you can ask them to wait for you. Their boat leaved the island at around 11 am or late in the afternoon. Fare is Php 350 (Back and Forth).
Where to stay in Isla Verde
- Fan Rooms for Php I,500 with restroom and terraces with ocean view.
- Tent rental is Php 300 per night. Php 200 if you bring your own tent.
- They also offer inter Island tour to Puerto Galera for 3 to 4 thousand good for 10 persons.
- Snorkeling Gear- Php 200
- Free charging
- Surface Interval Resort have their own boat.
- Contact Number: 0916 440 8647
- Website: www.islaverderesort.com
- Plan ahead and prepare.
- Travel and camp on durable surfaces.
- Dispose of waste properly.
- Minimize campfire impacts (be careful with fire).
- Respect wildlife.
- Be considerate of other visitors.