There is no direct flight from Mexico to Bolivia so I had to cut trips to get to La Paz. I took an Interjet flight to Lima, Peru then a Peruvian Air flight to La Paz. My layover was more than 10 hours but I decided to just stay in the airport because I had an early morning flight.
The train cemetery is a train graveyard situated in the outskirts of Uyuni, Bolivia. Several trains were abandoned and were left to rust after the fall of the mining industry in Bolivia.
Our next stop was the town of Colchani where we had a quick look at the small-scale salt processing plant. We also had a chance to check the town’s market to buy for some souvenirs.
After Colchani, we headed straight to Salar de Uyuni where we had our lunch near Playa Blanca Hotel, one of the oldest hotels in the Salar.
We then explored the vastness of the Salar and had our photo session in the middle of nowhere. Our guide was so creative that he was able to do some really good group photos. It was of the most memorable parts of the tour.
Our last stop was at the Incahuasi Island where we had photos of the giant cactus in the middle of the Salar.
Before returning to Uyuni, we had a quick stop somewhere in the middle of the Salar to have a glimpse of the amazing sunset. it was spectacular. It’s one of the best sunsets I’ve seen so far. It was magical!
It was already late when we left the Salar so I decided to just go to the airport directly to catch my flight back to La Paz. It was a 45-minute flight. I arrived in La Paz before 10pm.
I stayed for another night in La Paz then took a Bolivia Hop bus to Cusco the day after. The good thing about Bolivia Hop is you will be able to hop on and hop off from different places depending on the ticket you purchase. I stopped in Copacabana and availed of a tour to Isla del Sol – the Island of the Sun. The tour started at around 1pm and ended at around 4pm just in time to get to the 5pm bus to Puno, Peru. [Read: Copacabana to Isla del Sol : Pilgrimage to the Ancient Inca Holy Site]
- Take a Peruvian flight from Lima, it’s cheaper but be prepared of the short legroom.
- Book your bus ticket in advance when traveling around Bolivia and get a tourist bus with heater during winter.
- If you have a limited time, take a plane to Uyuni instead of bus. BOA and Amazsonas have direct flight from La Paz to Uyuni.
- Take the cable car for an amazing view of La Paz.
- Take the communal taxi if you are traveling on a budget.
- Buy a ticket with Bolivia Hop if you plan to visit Copacabana, Puno, Arequipa and Cusco.
- Be prepared of the high altitude. Bring some Ibuprofen in case you will have a severe headache. El Alto Airport in La Paz is one of the highest commercial airport in the world.
Itinerary and Expenses
Plane fare from Mexico City to Lima via Interjet – USD250 / 817 PEN
Dinner in Lima – 18 PEN
Water – 5 PEN
Total Expenses Day 0 – PEN840 / Php13,715 /BOB1,775
Plane fare from Lima to La Paz via Peruvian Air – USD133 / BOB920
Taxi from La Paz Airport to Accommodation – 50 BOB
Communal taxi from hostel to City proper – 3.5BOB for 20 mins
Postcard – 8 BOB
Ref Magnets – 20 BOB
Lunch (Lomo Saltado) – 30BOB
Taxi to Plaza Espana – 15 BOB for 35 mins
Cable Car – City proper to El Alto – 3BOB
Water – 7 BOB
Taxi to Todo Turismo bus station – 30 BOB, 35 mins
Overnight bus to Uyuni – USD39 / BOB270
Hostel – USD15 / BOB105
Total Expenses Day 1 – BOB1,461.5 / Php11,295
Coffee – 10BOB
Salar de Uyuni tour – USD74 / BOB512
Entrance Incahuasi Island – 30BOB
Guide tip – 50BOB
Airport Tax – 11BOB
Plane fare from Uyuni to La Paz via Amaszonas – 520BOB
Accommodation – USD15 / BOB105
Total Expenses Day 2 – BOB1,238 / Php9,562
Taxi to Adventure Brew Hostel for bus pick up – 30BOB
Bolivia Hop (La Paz-Copacabana-Puno-Cusco) – USD54 / BOB375
Breakfast – 40BOB
Lunch – 25BOB
Isla del Sol Tour – USD10 / BOB70
Total Expenses Day 3 – BOB540 / Php4,170
Total Expenses from Day 0-6 in Bolivia – BOB5,014.5 / Php38,745 (For expenses prior to this leg, click here)
- The Road to Latin America : An Intro to Our Adventure in Bogota + Expenses
- A Taste of the Caribbean in Varadero, Cuba
- First Time in CUBA : A Tale of A Filipino Travel Blogger
- Cancun : A Beach Paradise in Mexico
- First time in MEXICO : Itinerary, Expenses and Travel Tips
- What to See from Chichen Itza, Vestige of the Ancient Maya
- Turibus Mexico: How to Explore Mexico City by Turibus
- Copacabana to Isla del Sol : Pilgrimage to the Ancient Inca Holy Site
- Salar de Uyuni : Heaven’s Mirror on Earth
- First time in BOLIVIA : Itinerary, Expenses and Travel Tips
- Lake Titicaca : A Full Day Itinerary