Our Kalanggaman Island Travel Guide, ideal for budget travelers and backpackers who want to experience the beauty of Kalanggaman Island.
Kalanggaman Island is undoubtedly one of the Jewels of Eastern Visayas. It’s one of the most talked about destinations in the region attracting hundreds of visitors every day. Luckily, the local government unit of Palompon where Kalanggaman Island belongs has acted proactively regulating the number of daily visitors to the island making it a sustainable tourism destination. [Read: Sambawan Island Travel Guide]
This is our Kalanggaman Island Travel Guide. We hope this will help you plan your visit to the island.
How to get to Kalanggaman Island?
From Palompon. Take a boat to Kalanggaman Island. Travel time is an hour. Boat rental fees below:
- From 1 to 15 passengers – Php3,000
- Up to 25 passengers – Php3,500
- Up to 30 passengers – Php4,000
- If you are traveling solo just like me or in a small group, you can tell the tourism office staff that you are alone or in a small group and she will find a group where you can join. Then, she or you can ask the group if they would allow you to share a boat with them and divide the cost accordingly. I was lucky that the group that I joined has one more slot in the boat capacity so I was able to join them. I am really thankful to them for allowing me to share with their boat.
From Malapascua Island. Ask your resort for a tour package to Kalanggaman. They normally have an individual rate for a shared boat that usually leaves Malapascua in the morning and arrives back in the afternoon. The rates ranges from around Php700 to Php800.
From Tacloban. Take a van to Palompon from Tacloban. Travel time is around 3 hours and the
From Ormoc. Take a van to Palompon from Ormoc City. Travel time is around 2 hours and the
From Naval. Take an Ormoc-bound van and alight in Libungao Junction. Travel time is around 1.5hours and the fare is Php100. From Libungao Junction, take another van to Palompon. Travel time is around an hour and the
From Manila. Fly to Ormoc City or Tacloban City. From there, follow the instructions above. You can also take a bus from Manila to Tacloban or Ormoc.
From Davao. Fly to Tacloban or take a bus to Tacloban or Ormoc. Travel time by bus is around 24 hours and the
Kalanggaman Island Day Tour Rates (Entrance / Conservation Fee)
- Foreign tourists: Php500 (USD10)
- Non-Palompon tourist: Php150
- Non-Palompon college student: Php40
- Non-Palomponhigh school student: Php30
- Non-Palompon elementary student: Php20
- Senior citizens: Php120
Kalanggaman Island Overnight Rates (Entrance / Conservation Fee)
- Foreign tourists: Php750 (USD15)
- Non-Palompon tourist: Php225
- Non-Palompon college student: Php60
- Non-Palompon high school student: Php45
- Non-Palompon elementary student: Php30
- Senior citizens: Php180
The LGU of Palompon limits the number of tourists to 500 per day to preserve its natural beauty. So, you must call the Palompon Eco-Tourism Office hotline below to reserve your visit to the island.
- Landline: (053) 555 9731
- Mobile (Globe): +63 926 8164005
- Mobile (Globe): +63 926 8164007
- Mobile (Smart): +63 998 5551421
Kalanggaman Island Amenities and Activities
- There are open cottages for rent at Php500
- There are also beach chairs for rent at Php50
- There are shower areas but fresh water is not available. The boat operator will provide you with a couple of container with fresh water which you can use. You can shower when you are back at the eco-tourism office.
- There are cooking areas in the island.
- A store that sells basic necessities at a higher cost is also in the island.
- You can do kayaking, scuba diving, beach volleyball and snorkeling while in the island.
KALANGGAMAN ISLAND ITINERARY AND EXPENSES
- Depart Naval at 6:30am, van fare to Libungao junction is Php100 (Ormoc-bound van)
- Arrived in Libungao Junction at 8am
- Took a van to Palompon at 8:30 am, fare is Php90
- Arrived in Palompon at 8:30am
- Left Palompon to Kalnggaman at 10am via shared boat Php3,500/25, Php140each
- Bought food for lunch and snacks at the eco-tourism canteen Php200
- Arrived in Kalanggaman Island at around 11am
- Island time / Rented a beach chair for Php50
- Left Kalanggaman Island at 4pm
- Arrived back in Palompon at 5pm
- Left Palompon to Ormoc at 6pm, van fare Php110.
Travel Notes and Tips
- Only swim in the designated swimming areas. Swimming in the sandbar is prohibited due to strong current.
- Soap and shampoo is not allowed in the island, you can wash up when you get back to the eco-tourism office.
- Bring food and water
- No electricity in the island so charge up.
- Be a responsible traveler. Palompon is strictly implementing a waste segregation management. An eco-tourism staff will provide each boat a white and a black bag to segregate your trash into biodegradable and non-biodegradable.
HOTELS IN ORMOC: Where to stay in Ormoc City?
Hotel Don Felipe
Inaki A. Larrazabal St. cor Bonifacio St. Ormoc City (Check rates, reviews, and availability)