A comprehensive DIY Canigao Island travel guide in Leyte, Philippines – how to get there, entrance fee, and where to stay.
Canigao Island is one of Leyte’s top summer destinations located in the Municipality of Matalom in Leyte Province. It’s a small island easily accessible by boat from mainland Leyte. It’s a favorite beach destination among Leytenos and has also gained popularity among local Filipino travelers.
How to get to Canigao Island?
From Matalom. The boat terminal in Matalom is originally located in the Poblacion area but due to the ongoing repair of the port, the boat terminal was moved to Sitio Nonok, Barangay Itum, Matalom, Leyte as of January 2018. You can ride a tricycle from Matalom town center to the boat terminal for Php15. Once you reach the boat terminal, you can pay for the entrance fee and the boat fare. Travel time is less than 10 minutes.
From Tacloban. Take a van to Maasin City and alight in Matalom. Travel time should be around five hours. The fare is around Php220.
From Ormoc. Take a van to Maasin City and alight in Matalom. Travel time is around 3 hours and the
From Manila. Fly to Ormoc or take a bus to Maasin City.
From Cebu. Fly to Ormoc or take a boat to Ormoc, Hilongos, Bato or Baybay. From there, take a van to Maasin City and alight in Matalom. You can also take a boat from Cebu to Maasin, then from there, take a van or bus to Bato and alight in Matalom. [Read: Boat Schedule from Cebu to Leyte VV]
From Davao. Fly to Tacloban or take a bus to Ormoc. From there, take a van to Maasin and alight in Matalom.
Canigao Island Fees
- Entrance Fee: Php45
- Boat Fare: Php65
- Open Cottage Day use: Php500
- Open Cottage overnight rate: Php700
- Rooms for rent: Php1,500 (two rooms available)
- Usage of electricity for 3 hours: Php500
- Tent pitching: Php100
Travel notes and tips
- You can go to the island as early as 7am but you will have to wait for the boat to reach its minimum capacity to leave.
- Day tour is only up to 5pm
- Bring food and drinks. However, here’s a store in the island which sells basic necessities.
- A grilling station is available in the island.
- Bring an insect repellent if you are staying overnight.
- Comfort room is quite outdated. It’s clean from the outside but the toilets were dirty when I was there. No faucets available in the cubicle but water is available in the toilet area.
- Cellular signal is good and internet speed is relatively okay.
- You must bring your garbage back to the mainland.
- Be a responsible traveler – respect other guests, be mindful with your trash and for Pete’s sake, flush your shit with a bucket of water – water container is available so make sure you get one before you enter the cubicle.
Watch our Video of the Jewels of Eastern Visayas
Don’t forget to hit the SUBSCRIBE button.