The Queen City of the South, Cebu is a wonderful pick for a vacation. There’s nothing that can disappoint you when you reach Cebu. The people are friendly and the city and resorts have all the commodities that you need. There are also many destinations to choose from on the island, all of them rich in culture, history and natural beauty. (Read: 10 Things to do in Cebu City)
Top Tourist Attractions in Cebu
1. Magellan’s Cross What is a trip to Cebu without a visit to Magellan’s cross near Basilica del Sto. Nino. It is the cross that started the largest Catholic congregation in all of Asia. Drop by to say a short prayer or just marvel at its history.
2. Simala Shrine You can’t quite put the inspiration towards the architecture of this shrine. Is it Gothic? Baroque? But you’re quite sure that it’s breathtaking and majestic. The Simala shrine is dedicated to the Virgin Mary and is a perfect destination whether or not you’re a devout Catholic. It is only a bus ride away from Cebu City, so make sure to pay a visit.
3. Taoist Temple Just as the Catholic churches and shrines are breathtakingly beautiful, so too is the Taoist temple in Cebu city. It is perched high above
4. Taboan Public Market They say that it’s in the marketplace there that you can see what the people eat, what they buy for their everyday needs, and what’s popular among them. It’s like a little pantry of the city. Taboan is full of Cebu’s dried fish
5. Museo Sugbo If you want a crash course on Cebuano history, then Museo Sugbo is a recommended stop
6. Fort San Pedro Fort San Pedro is one of the few surviving Spanish forts in the country. Imagine it as a small Intramuros, with old stone walls and old cannons displayed here and there. It is now a small park that is worthy of exploring for those afternoons when you just want to experience history.
8. Oslob Whale Shark Watching These gentle giants were discovered in the waters of Oslob in 2011. Since then, tourists have been flocking to the town to catch a glimpse of the biggest fish in the world. Hop on a bus to Oslob from Cebu city and pack your snorkel and fins to catch a swim with them.
9. Alegre Guitar Factory Cebuanos are known for their inclination towards music. It’s no wonder then, that they should also produce the best musical instruments. The Alegre Guitar Factory has been making guitars for decades and you can witness some being made in their factory in Mactan. It’s only a jeepney ride away from the resort town of Maribago.
10. Bantayan island There are many beaches in Cebu, but by far, Bantayan Island takes the crown for being picturesque and unforgettable. It offers everything a beach could offer. Diving, snorkeling, and island hopping are popular activities. It is accessible via a boat ride from the main island and is a fitting way to cap off your Cebu experience.
11. Canyoning / Canyoneering in Badian / Kawasan Falls
Canyoneering in Badian is one of Cebu’s must-do activities. It is also one most adrenaline-pumping adventures in the province.
Where to stay in Cebu?
Recommended budget hotels to stay in Cebu City. Please click the name of the hotel below to check the rates and availability.