It was already last minute when I decided to go to Tacloban for the Pintados – Kasadyaan Festival 2013. I initially plan of not going due to a lot of work to be done for the week, then I got lucky, I was able to finish my pending tasks earlier than expected so I decided to proceed.
I already knew that there was a typhoon in Surigao the night before I left Davao but it did not bother me. Instead, I woke up early and took a Philtranco bus going to Surigao City. It was a 9-hour bus ride from Davao City. The bus was going to Pasay/Cubao passing Tacloban city but I will still have to meet my travel blogger friends Nathalie of My Wandering Soles and Jeffrey of The Traveling Morion so I had to cut trips. It was already raining when I reached Agusan del Sur so I was kinda expecting it was also raining in Surigao.
I arrived in Surigao City and was surprised that it was not raining anymore. I was kinda hopeful that our trip to Tacloban that night will be smooth.
Jeffrey fetched me and we went to have a glass of milk tea at Bastie’s cafe before heading to the port.
Jeffrey and I left the coffee shop and went to the Lipata port for our trip to Tacloban
Arrived in Lipata port and the bad news broke out – the RORO trip has been cancelled due to the typhoon signal brought by Gorio. I was really disappointed because I was very excited to witness the Pintados festival and meet my travel blogger friends who are already in Tacloban waiting for us. Still hopeful that the suspension will be lifted the same night, we went back to Bastie’s cafe and just planned of calling Montegro later to see if the trip scheduled at 2AM will push through.
We arrived at the coffee shop and I was so down. I felt so weak and sick, in fact I had fever and muscle pain at an instant. I lost my appetite and just wanted to sleep.
We called the Montenegro Lines and we were advised that trips were still suspended so we decided to leave the coffee shop and checked in at a nearby hotel – Le Chard Place.
Woke up early and called the hotline again to see if the suspension is lifted.
Called them again and still no good news, so we decided to just sleep.
We were so lazy to even go out to eat so we had room service for our breakfast.
Checked out and went to Mabua Pebble beach and had lunch at Mt. Bagarabon Hotel.
We decided to proceed to the Lipata port again hoping that the 8PM RORO schedule will push through.
Monetegro was about to make an announcement, I thought it was already a good one but it turned out that it was not. Instead, Montenegro has announce that the 8PM trip is still cancelled. The next PAGASA update will be at 11PM so only then they can tell if the 2AM ferry will be going. Leyte provinces was still in signal number 1.
We heard a strong sound, it was from the vessel’s horn/whistle. We immediately went near the entrance and see if the trip suspension is now lifted. Few minutes passed and we confirmed from the guard that the trip will now proceed. We immediately went to the ticket counter despite the drizzle. We were the first ones to fall in line and we got our ticket after past midnight.
Finally the RORO has departed, we are all ecstatic!
We finally arrived in the port of San Ricardo (Benit). It was a rough ride but I was thankful we’re safe.
Arrived in Palo, Leyte. We decided to drop by at the Mac Arthur landing site.
Started scouting for a place to stay. We’ve visited a lot of hotels, inns, pension houses but all of them were still fully booked.
We finally found a place to stay at Highness Pension. They only have a double room so we decided to get it while waiting for another room to be available. The three of us managed to get some sleep for a little bit in that double bed 🙂
It was indeed a misadventure but it did not ruin my whole trip. I might not able to witness the Pintados-Kasadyaan Festival this year but I still had a great getaway in Tacloban.
Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/escapemanila
Twitter : https://twitter.com/escapemanila
Subscribe by Email:
Enter your email address:
Delivered by FeedBurner